About CFCLearn about CrossFit Callisto
CFC provides health and fitness in a supportive community environment. Every member has access to professional coaching during each visit.
CrossFit Callisto is a community dedicated to helping members achieve their fitness goals. We work with members from various abilities and age groups. We program workouts based on:
- Functional movements: movements that mimic those utilized in every day life….i.e. Squatting, Pressing, Pushing, Pulling, Jumping, Running, and Throwing.
- Constantly Varied: our workouts are not the same day-to-day or week-to-week, however our workouts are not random. Each programmed WOD (Workout of the day) has a purpose and will aid you in meeting your fitness goals.
- High Intensity: Intensity is a product of how hard you are working to complete the WOD. Through our effective coaching and programming we ensure you learn what intensity means and how to apply it to a WOD. We coach athletes to progress accordingly through learning first movement mechanics → second consistency of movement → finally intensity.
We are confident we can help you achieve your fitness goals and would love to have you be a part of our community.
10 Components of Fitness We Train:
- Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance – The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
- Stamina – The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
- Strength – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.
- Flexibility – the ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
- Power – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.
- Speed – The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
- Coordination – The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
- Agility – The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
- Balance – The ability to control the placement of the body’s center of gravity in relation to its support base.
- Accuracy – The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.
Our coaching focuses on a pyramid approach:
- Nutrition: We teach you how to correctly fuel your body for both CrossFit and Life. Nutrition is the Foundation of our entire approach……without appropriately nutrition the rest of the pyramid will fail. Your nutrition lays the molecular foundation for fitness and health.
- Metabolic Conditioning (METCON): Builds capacity in each of the three metabolic pathways, beginning with aerobic, then lactic acid, and then phosphocreatine pathways.
- Gymnastics: Establishes functional capacity for body control and range of motion.
- Weightlifting and Throwing: Develops your ability to control external objects and produce power.
- Sport: Applies fitness in a healthy competitive atmosphere with more randomized movements and skill mastery.
Head Coach / Co-Owner
CrossFit Certified Level 1 Trainer
CrossFit Endurance Training Certified
Current Education: Student in pursuit of Doctor of Chiropractic – Sherman College of Chiropractic – Class of December 2015
Previous Education: Master’s of Science – Exercise Science (concentration in Motor Control and Rehabilitation) from University of South Carolina – Class of 2010
- Time spent analyzing biomechanics 95%
- Health Nut 100%
- Time spent thinking of maniacal WODs 100%
Michael’s passion for healthy living grew from a youth filled with sports and competition. Like most, he played in little leagues and school sports. In middle school he started martial arts and was instantly hooked on the competitive environment. In college he began working for gyms and became interested in the sport of bodybuilding.
He competed in his first bodybuilding competition at 18 while studying at the University of South Carolina. After finishing school at USC, while working in law enforcement and personal training in his free time, he realized his true passion and ultimate path in life….helping others lead a healthier lifestyle. He returned to USC and studied Exercise Science (concentration in motor control/rehabilitation). In late 2010, he obtained his M.S. in Exercise Science and began working for a cardiac clinic as an Exercise Physiologist. After being in cardiology he decided he wanted to take on the role as a primary health care provider. His background and passion for utilizing exercise as medicine led him to chiropractic school.
CrossFit became a part of his life in early 2012. His wife, Erica Ray, told him about CrossFit and insisted he must give it a try. Through CrossFit he found the type of competition he originally became addicted to in martial arts. Coach Michael’s love for CrossFit is fostered by the constant battle against himself….how far are you willing to go and push your own personal limits. After his first WOD he knew he found the missing link to leading a healthy lifestyle. CrossFit has taught him many things, but most importantly it has taught him to never quit. Coach Michael’s motto, “We are all capable of great things and I hope to help others foster their potential.”
Two of his favorite quotes:
“Desire is the key to motivation, but it’s determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal – a commitment to excellence – that will enable you to attain the success you seek.”
– Mario Andretti
“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
– Michael Jordan
Business Manager / Co-Owner
Bachelors of Science – Business Management – West Virginia University
Associate Degree – Patisserie & Baking – Le Cordon Bleu – Pittsburgh, PA
- Time spent becoming a badass 100%
- Pastry Chef Skills 99%
- Time spent complaining 0%
Coach Erica grew up in Western Maryland where she began gymnastics at the age of 4. She remained in gymnastics for 10 years before being drawn to the sport of volleyball. She played volleyball throughout high school and two years at the collegiate level at Potomac State College in Keyser, WV. After obtaining a business degree from WVU, she attended culinary school in Pittsburgh. It was during her time at her first pastry job in Asheville, NC that she discovered the world of CrossFit. She has ben involved with CrossFit for going on four years now and loves the support system provided by the community atmosphere. The intensity of the WODs is what keeps her constantly engaged and relentlessly striving to be better. She enjoys watching athletes of all skill levels develop and thrive….and finds it one of the most rewarding aspects of being a part of the CFC community.
Two of her favorite quotes:
“Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.”
– Albert Schweitzer
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”
– Thomas A. Edison
Operations Manager / Co-Owner
CrossFit Certified Level 1 Trainer
Bachelors of Arts in History
- Military experience 80%
- Time spent washing his hair 0%
- Endurance skills 100%
Coach Tyler grew up in Thomasville, NC. He was always an athletic kid playing
multiple sports throughout the year, whether it be football, basketball, soccer or martial arts. In middle school, he discovered long distance running which lead him to run Cross Country and Track in high school. He went on to win a state championship in Cross Country and was named All-State in Cross Country and Track. He accepted a scholarship to Pfeiffer University to run Cross Country and Track.
At Pfeiffer, Coach Tyler was a very productive member of the Cross Country team. He was Captain his Junior and Senior years as well as breaking several records in the 800m and 1500m races. After college, he decided to pursue a goal of becoming a Marine and was commissioned in the U.S. Marine Corps as a Second Lieutenant.
During his four years in the Marines, he was first introduced to CrossFit. Every morning a group of Marines would go do a CrossFit workout at the local gym before work. His first real exposure to high intensity functional fitness was the Combat Fitness Test which involves a 880m run, 90 reps of putting a ammo can over his head, and a course called movement under fire which involves various tasks that a Marine would perform. He obtained the rank of Captain during his four years. It wasn’t until he left the Marines that he decided to try CrossFit in Knoxville, TN.
He instantly became hooked due to the competitive nature of it and the camaraderie. It brought back all the athletic and military endeavors by having a group encouragement and fostering a team mentality. He has been doing CrossFit for over 2 years now. He is a L-1 Certified trainer.
Two of his favorite quotes:
“To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.”
– Steve Prefontaine
“Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.”
– Michael Jordan